All your hard work has led up to this moment: graduation. Every year, thousands of students gather for our spring commencement ceremony to receive degrees and certificates. The event draws friends and family members from across the globe for an evening of celebration. Chaffey College holds this ceremony at Toyota Arena (formerly known as Citizens Business Bank Arena) in Ontario.
[EMBED video located at https://vimeo.com/334160643]
Not everyone can make it to the ceremony in person so here’s our digital version of the 2020 commencement program for you to view and download.
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I eligible to walk in commencement?
If you completed or expect to complete your degree or certificate in the summer, fall or spring preceding the next commencement date, you will be invited to participate in the commencement ceremony. Check your Panther email for your eligibility notification.
What should I do if I did not receive my eligibility notification?
You can check your status online via the portal.
What are the steps I must complete to participate in the commencement ceremony?
You must complete the following steps:
- Apply for graduation prior to the published deadline.
- Complete the student graduate RSVP form.
- Purchase and pick up your regalia.
- Arrive at the ceremony by 2:30 p.m. for check-in.
How do I know if I am graduating with honors?
If you have earned an associate degree and have a 3.50 GPA or above in degree applicable units, you will graduate with honors. GPA for honors at graduation (listed in commencement ceremony booklet) is computed after the fall semester grades are recorded on the transcript for spring commencement.
How do I know if I am a valedictorian at the commencement ceremony?
You must have earned an associate’s degree and a cumulative 4.00 GPA in degree applicable units, and have completed a minimum of 12 degree applicable units at Chaffey College each consecutive term, except the first term in college may be fewer than 12 units. If you are eligible to be a valedictorian, you will be notified by the commencement office by April 1.
RSVP For Commencement
How do I RSVP for commencement?
You must have applied and been found eligible for graduation. If you are eligible to graduate, you will receive an email with instructions on how to complete the student graduate RSVP form.
When can I RSVP?
Once you have applied for graduation and been found eligible, you will receive an email with instructions. The deadline to RSVP is Tuesday, April 30, 2019. You can look on the “Students” tab of the Commencement website to find the list of eligible students who have agreed to have their name in the commencement program. The student eligibility list will be posted by March 1st and updated weekly.
What should I do if I was unable to RSVP?
If you were unable to RSVP, did you:
- meet the March 29th deadline to apply for graduation
- receive an email indicating you are eligible to participate
If you met the bullets listed above, please contact admissions and records to review your eligibility to RSVP. If your last name is A-K call (909) 652-6615 or L-Z call (909) 652-6606.
Prepare For Commencement
Is there a rehearsal that I should attend?
There is no rehearsal. We will provide you with all the instructions that you need during check-in and line-up, prior to the procession into the arena.
Will my name appear in the commencement program?
Your name will appear in the program if you met the March 29th deadline to apply for graduation and indicated on your application that you would like your name printed in the program.’
What is Grad Fest?
Grad Fest is a one-stop-shop to pick-up everything you need for commencement. You can purchase your regalia, meet vendors for announcements, pick-up the guest tickets you RSVP’d for, and much more. Go to the Grad Fest website for more information.
Information regarding how to purchase graduation announcements will be available on the Chaffey College campus store website.
What should I wear at commencement?
Dress appropriately for the special occasion. If you do not have your regalia (which includes a cap, gown and tassel) you will not be able to participate in the ceremony.
Where can I purchase regalia?
Students can begin purchasing their regalia at the Grad Fest events scheduled at the Chino, Fontana, and Rancho Campuses, through the Chaffey College campus store. Please visit the Chaffey campus store website for more information regarding how you may purchase academic regalia.
Are participants allowed to wear any cords, sashes/stoles, caps or other regalia that were not issued by the college?
No. Only college-approved regalia is allowed, as this is Chaffey College’s commencement ceremony. College staff may ask you to remove any non-approved or inappropriate regalia.
Can I decorate my graduation cap?
It is completely acceptable to decorate your cap. Please be respectful when decorating your cap, but have fun. Please note that your graduation gown should not be decorated.
Tickets / Guests
Will my guests need tickets for the ceremony?
Yes, tickets will be required to enter the arena for guests age two (2) and up. You can reserve your guest tickets by completing the Student Graduate RSVP Form. Please note: Tickets are not required for student graduates.
How many guests can I invite?
You can RSVP for up to six (6) guests.
Can I get additional tickets?
Possibly. Since seating is limited, you will have the opportunity to reserve up to six (6) guest tickets when you RSVP. You will also have the ability to add your name to a waitlist for up to four (4) additional tickets for a total of ten (10) tickets.
When can I pick up my tickets?
If you completed the Student Graduate RSVP Form, you will receive a confirmation with information on how to pick-up your tickets. Ticket distribution will begin at Grad Fest. After Grad Fest, you can pick-up your tickets in admissions and records at the campus location you indicated on your RSVP.
When is the deadline to pick up my RSVP’d tickets?
You will have until May 15th to pick-up your RSVP’d tickets. After this date, if you do not pick-up your tickets they will be released to other graduates on the waitlist who requested to receive additional tickets.
Where can I pick up my tickets?
When you complete the student graduate RSVP, you will indicate from which campus location you will pick-up your tickets. Upon completing the RSVP, you will receive a confirmation with information on how to pick-up your tickets. Ticket distribution will begin at grad fest. After grad fest, you can pick-up your tickets in admissions and records at the campus location you indicated on your RSVP.
How will I be notified if additional tickets are available?
You will receive an email on May 16 if tickets are available with instructions on how to claim additional tickets. Tickets will be distributed on a first come, first-served basis.
What happens if I lose any guest tickets?
Lost tickets cannot and will not be reissued.
What time should I arrive for the commencement ceremony?
Check-in for ceremony line-up will begin at 2:30 p.m. You should arrive no later than 3:00pm. This will allow you time to go through security, check-in, complete your name card, robe, take photos, and find your place in the processional line.
What time will Toyota Arena be open to guests for the commencement ceremony?
The parking lots will open by 2 p.m. and the doors to the arena will open at 2:30 p.m. Your guests should plan to arrive with plenty of time to get parking and get through security before the start of the ceremony.
What will happen if I arrive after line-up has started for the procession?
You will be seated next to the graduates who are in line behind you and in front of you during the processional. So if you would like to sit with your friends, be sure to line up together as there is no holding spots in line.
How long does the ceremony last?
To keep the ceremony on time, the procession of students into the arena will begin without late students. This means you will not be able to process into the ceremony with friends and you will not be able to sit next to them during the ceremony.
The ceremony will last approximately two and a half (2.5) hours. Students are not permitted to leave the commencement ceremony early.
Where can I put my personal belongings during the ceremony?
Do not bring any personal belongings to the processional line-up and robing location; give them to friends or family before checking in at the loading docks (guests are not allowed in the line-up and robing location). There is no secure storage area and staff are prohibited from holding any personal items for graduates and will not be responsible for lost items.
Will the commencement ceremony be available to view online?
Yes, for those family members and friends who are unable to attend the 102nd Commencement, Chaffey College is pleased to offer a live video stream of the ceremony. More details will be provided as they become available.
Do I have to pay for parking?
No, parking is FREE.
The arena is accessible via the Omnitrans bus (Line 81) - the nearest stop is Concourse and Mercedes Lane.
What if I need accommodations for the ceremony?
You will indicate what accommodations you will need when you RSVP. The Commencement Office will work with DPS to ensure your accommodations are provided.
What if my guests need accommodations for the ceremony?
Guests should visit Guest Services in section 112 of the Main Concourse of the arena for directions to areas designated for special accommodations.
Connect With Other Graduates
How can I connect with other graduates on social media?
Use the hashtag #chaffey19 to join the conversation on Twitter and see what’s trending among your fellow graduates and alumni.
How do I connect with my friends and family after the ceremony?
During the recessional, you will be led out of the arena to the south side of the arena to meet with family and friends.
Will I receive my diploma/certificate at the commencement ceremony?
No. You will receive a diploma/certificate cover containing a certificate of participation. The admissions and records office mails your diploma/certificate to you 3 - 4 months after your degree/certificate is posted. Keep us informed of your current address to ensure delivery of your transcript and diploma.
What if my diploma/certificate does not arrive?
If you change your mailing address or you do not receive your diploma, please notify the admissions and records office at:
Last Name beginning with A – K – (909) 652-6616
Last Name beginning with L – Z – (909) 652-6606
How can I join the alumni association?
The alumni association will have a table at grad fest and the commencement ceremony. You can also go to the alumni association website.
If I have additional questions about the commencement ceremony, whom do I contact?
Please contact the office of student life at 909-652-6589.
Information for Guests
- Tickets will be required to enter the arena for guests age two (2) and up
- Your graduating student will reserve all guests tickets when they complete the student graduate RSVP form
- Tickets are not required for student graduates
- Parking is FREE
- Parking lots will open at 2:00 p.m.
- General Public should park in lots A, B, and C
- Lot A is accessed through gate A on Ontario Center Parkway
- Lot B is accessed through the main gate on Concourse Drive
- Lot C is accessed through the main gate on Concourse Drive
- Visit Toyota Arena’s parking and map page for more information
Arena Entrance & Security Screening
- Doors to the arena will open at 2:30 p.m. Entrances are limited so plan to arrive no later than 30 minutes prior to allow time to go through security and find a seat before the start of the ceremony
- All guests will be guided through normal security procedures, including metal detectors and bag inspections. View Toyota Arena’s venue policies for more information
- Seating is on a first come first serve basis. Guests should be in their seats by 3:45 p.m.
- Guests are to be seated and remain seated throughout the ceremony
- Guests are not allowed to enter the floor level of the arena to take pictures
- All entrances at the arena are equipped with a ramp, as well as stairs, for guest convenience
- ADA seating is available on the first and third levels of the arena
- Accessible seating is reserved exclusively for guests with accessible needs and one of their companions
- Please visit guest services in section 112 of the Main Concourse if you need assistance with locating ADA seating
- For guests who wish to transfer to a seat from their wheelchair, the arena will store your wheelchair at their guest service center. Wheelchairs and walkers are not allowed to be stored at the seating section. A designated member of your party will be in charge of checking the wheelchair in and out
Gifts & Noisemakers
- Balloons, wrapped gifts and noisemakers or airhorns are not allowed inside the arena. Flowers, cameras and unwrapped gifts are acceptable.
- Food, The arena does not allow outside food or drink
- Concession stands will be open and drinking fountains are located along the main concourse
- All strollers/carriers that enter the arena must be checked at guest services in section 112 of the main concourse. A $5 per item fee will be enforced to check strollers/carriers
Live video stream of the ceremony
- For family members and friends who are unable to attend commencement, Chaffey College offers a live video stream of the ceremony
GradImages® is the official photographer for our commencement.
You can view and order your photos by visiting their website at www.gradimages.com.
Simply enter your last name, your school name: school and select 2019 from the dropdown
Once you see your name, click on the link to view your photos.
If you need additional help to locate your photos, call the GradImages customer service department at 800-261-2576 or email them at email@example.com.
Information for Faculty/Staff
- Parking is FREE
- Parking lots will open at 2 p.m.
- All faculty/staff should park in Lot F
- Lot F is accessed through gate F2 or F3 off of Mercedes Lane
- Faculty/Staff will enter the arena through the loading docks
- Faculty/Staff will then proceed to the green room for check-in (directional signs will be posted)
- Please indicate on your commencement RSVP of any accommodations you will need for the ceremony
Information for Students
Lists will soon be available for you to check whether you are eligible to participate in the commencement ceremony. Please note the spring eligibility list will continue to be updated weekly as graduation applications will continue to be processed into April. If you can’t find your name on the list, please check your MyChaffey Portal for the status of your application.
Note: If you elected not to have your name listed in the program, your name will not be listed. Therefore, you will need to check the portal for your eligibility status.
Prepare For Commencement
- Apply for graduation
- Check the portal or your Panther email for your eligibility notification
- Complete the student graduate RSVP form and reserve your guest tickets
- Please indicate on your RSVP any accommodations you will need for the ceremony
- Attend grad fest to purchase your regalia and pick-up your guest tickets
- Keep your tickets safe, they cannot be reissued
- There will be no rehearsal for students. You will be given instructions at check-in and line-up
- Review the commencement day instructions provided with your tickets
- Commencement regalia is required. You must have your cap, gown, and tassel in order to participate in the ceremony
- You will check-in between 2:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. at the loading docks
- Plan to wear comfortable shoes. Seating in the loading docks will be limited
- Do not bring any personal belongings to the processional line-up and robing location, such as purses and/or backpacks.
- The loading docks will have the Chaffey College campus store (with limited merchandise), music, a cap decorating station and places to take pictures.
- You should have your name card complete before lining up. Staff will be available should you need help completing the card.
- You will be seated next to the graduates that are in front of you and behind you in line during the processional. If you would like to sit with friends, please line-up accordingly.
- Silence your cell phone before entering the arena.
- Students will be led into the arena by the grand marshal and will be seated on the arena floor.
- Please extend the same courtesy to your fellow graduates and stay seated until the end of the ceremony.
- You will be expected to stay for the entire ceremony.
- You will be led out of the arena following the ceremony to the south side of the arena to meet with family and friends.
- Parking lots will open at 2 p.m.
- Parking is FREE
- All graduates should park in Lot F. Lot F is accessed through gate F2 or F3 off of Mercedes Lane
- No helium balloons, noise makers or wrapped gifts will be allowed inside the arena.
- Flowers, cameras and unwrapped gifts are OK.
- Chaffey College will provide a live video stream of the ceremony.
Enjoy celebrating your amazing accomplishment!
Questions? Check the FAQs page or contact the office of student life at (909) 652-6590.